Friday, October 18, 2013

The Facebook Conversation That Made The Common Core Look Way too Hard and Left Some Smart Adults Feeling Pretty Mathematically "Challenged"!

The FB exchange below left me laughing and also a bit worried.  I have been skeptical about the whole Common Core thing being taught in our schools these days!  I worry that the techniques are non-intuitive for kids and are going to leave most kids (including mine - UGH) crying and losing-their-minds over homework, classwork and tests.  And I worry that they are going to walk away from the whole school experience feeling like they are getting dumber, not smarter.
Plus, after reading the conversation below, I was left thinking that if these parents couldn't figure this crap out, how are our kiddos going to do so?  
Enjoy, what I thought was a funny conversation by some pretty confused and frustrated adults.  I hope it makes you laugh (not cry).
Cathy

FACEBOOK POST #1: Funny exchange between one very confused mom and many of her well-educated and helpful Facebook friends about a Common Core based Math assignment.  The group proceeds (for several hours no less) to try to figure out how to do 1st grade math… Prepare to laugh!...or Cry!



Seriously, does anyone know what a 5-group card is in common core math? I can't even find the explanation on Google.
Like ·  · Share
   
-Elisa:  That one has Andrew stumped
16 hours ago via mobile · Like

Matthew:  I think it's just 5 squares connected one after another.
16 hours ago via mobile · Like

Matthew:  A couple of my sons work with tens which is two of those one on top of the other, so I'm just guessing.
16 hours ago via mobile · Like

Tricia:  What two numbers add to five example 2+3 =5 they use dots to represent number
16 hours ago via mobile · Like

 Sheri:   we do ten blocks but this is just weird.
16 hours ago · Like · 1

Martin:  Kathy, and they expect little ones to get it. just teach them basics.
16 hours ago · Like · 1

Marissa:   What grade? More than likely it's a 5-frame which is just a way of getting kids to recognize a group of 5... Call me if you're still stuck
16 hours ago · Like

Sheri:  First grade. Does "doubles plus one" make any sense?
16 hours ago · Like · 1

Marissa:  Lol yes... we use doubles + 1 to help kids develop addition strategies... 5+4 is the same as 4+4 and one more because 5 is one more than 4
16 hours ago · Like

Sheri:  That's it!...for one section of the page. Ugh.
16 hours ago · Like

Marissa:  Lol... I always hated teaching doubles + 1 and doubles + 2... I think it confuses a lot of kids more than it helps them
16 hours ago · Like · 2

Martin:  WOW what happened to 4 plus 1 = 5
16 hours ago · Like · 1

Marissa:  Now we give kids 100 strategies on how to add so they NEVER master any of them and struggle with math forever! Thank you No Child Left Behind and Common Core
16 hours ago · Like · 5

Ali:  I could never teach doubles+1 last year because I don't think that way at all! I feel your pain...
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Matt:  Half of the 10 group...seriously
14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  I get that part matt...just not what exactly they're supposed to do with that info.
14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Matt:  When you group things in tens it makes it easier when there is on three or four or even two left over after starting with thirteen or fourteen or even twelve, follow?
14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Matt:   ~only~
14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  Yeah I get the grouping part. We were able to use it with the other problems on the homework. Like double plus one helps solve 3+4 = 7 by using 3+3= 6.  F@*K this.... I'm pouring wine!
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

Matt:   Want me to send R. over and do some schooling? Hey wait a minute, isn't Jeffrey D. a F@*Kin’ math teacher??
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2

Sheri:  Ha! Yes!
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Jeffrey: Yes I am. And I don't understand why they teach the elementary school math the way they do. By the time they get to the 7th grade, they don't know how to multiply or divide because they never learned their facts. I spend way too much time teaching the basic skills they need to do the higher level math. The state of this nations education system is sickening.
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2

Jeffrey:  What ever happened to using your fingers.
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

Martin:   Lmao ! Jeff can put em down! Binary numbers that is! Lol
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Matt:   That's why they group in tens.
14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Matt:  My daughter has a number line from 0-100 so she doesn't need her fingers anymore
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Matt:  It's actually a large cube... 0-100 would be really long
14 hours ago via mobile · Like
   
Angel:  i hate common core!  there is nothing common about it
13 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2
  
Kimberly:  Sheri ~ I go along with the common core because that's the way they are teaching it at school; but at home while doing homework with them, I also teach the boys how we were taught - it helps them out later, and they even think it makes more sense!!! M. is in first grade too...he does math in his head better than he does the common core.
12 hours ago · Like · 1

FACEBOOK POST #2 …Sheri continues to look for guidance on another section of the math homework.  She even shares a visual with hopes that someone will definitely know how to do it if they can see what she is talking about…
  
Sheri:  16 hours ago via mobile


2 people like this.

Matthew:  Remember when math was just math?
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2
   
Elisa:  4+1=5. 2+2=4
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

Lori:  Just a guess but like Elisa wrote....Put the 1 in the square and then have D. write out 4+1=5. I'm going by the example in the corner. Good Luck
15 hours ago · Edited · Like · 1

Brad: It looks like 5,7,9 are the answers?
15 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  But if they are all supposed to equal 5, why is there a 5 and 4 together?
15 hours ago · Like

Brad:  Never mind. Oh man I dislike math...
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Elisa: Then the second one would be 5-1=4
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Lori:  I thought that was so he would know that was the answer. Again, I was going by the example that the teacher wrote in the top corner. Maybe R. or B. could help you....again GOOD LUCK
15 hours ago · Like

Elisa:  I give maybe it is 5,7,9
15 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  but what would the number sentence be? It needs to show a double. So I'm thinking 4 and 4 is eight. but the 5 and 4 is baffling me
15 hours ago · Like

Honey: I'm glad I only have a cat. LOL!
15 hours ago · Like · 2

Brad: This is so scarry that we are all 30+ adults who can not figure out this wonderful childish math problem... Haha....
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

BradI believe that Honey voted to bring wine by when the spirits were doing their thing. Maybe she should do so now to open up those mathematical thought processes... 
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Elisa:  Andrew is in calculus and he has no clue. Sorry
15 hours ago via mobile · Like

Kasey: All I know is that under the 5 and 4 you gotta right the number sentence '5+4=9" hahah
15 hours ago via mobile · Like

Jane:  Omg... I was never good at math in school. I was in slow rate with all the pot heads. This is not good. What ever happened to the simple math at D.’s age.
15 hours ago via mobile · Like · 3

Lori:  Did you finally figure it out? I sitting here waiting...lol
15 hours ago · Like

Janine: I keep reading it over and over and I don't understand what they want you to do....this is pathetic!!!
14 hours ago · Like · 1

Sheri:  I get the concept of part of the home work. Makes them think in groupings of five...but still don't get part of it.
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Heather: I'm baffled...
14 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2

BradNothing on previous page of the workbook that gives you clues?
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  Nope, that's the first problem.
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

BradDang it...
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Janine:  So if you can't figure this out do you send the teacher a note that D.'s parents and their parent's friends couldn't figure out how to do first grade math!!!
13 hours ago · Like · 1

Beth:  Is it 4+1=5 go left to right
Then 5-1=4
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Sheri:  No idea Beth .
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Martin:  I think he should write s 5 under the four and then make a robot out if the two boxes in the middle
13 hours ago via mobile · Like · 2

Sheri:  That is the best answer hun.
13 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Beth: The example is in top on right by the date!
13 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Beth: I think
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Chanda:  i thought the thought process behind 5 group card was along the lines of how to thinks of number groups to equal 5, so 4=
13 hours ago · Like

Beth:  So put in first group put another 4 under the other 4 and the number sentence underneath 
4+4=8
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Chanda:  sorry 4+1=5, 3+2=5, 5+0=5 but i'm completely lost like you guys. why does the last one have 5 and 4. lol
13 hours ago · Like · 1

Sheri:  5 and 4 is what is throwing me off.
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Chanda:  they should at least have a better example at the top for parents to follow
13 hours ago · Like

Chanda:  and at least throw you a bone and stick a number somewhere in the middle so you have something to work with...lol
13 hours ago · Like

Matt:  I think Beth hit it, 4+1=5, 5-1=4
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Beth:  They are asking you to do the number sentence 5+4=9
13 hours ago via mobile · Like

Chanda:  but what is the whole "double" thing about
13 hours ago · Like

Chanda:  you have to fill us all in tomorrow on what the correct answers were...can't wait...lol
13 hours ago · Like

Janine:   is it 4+0=4 & 5-1=4 there is your double but what is 5 & 4 at the end
13 hours ago · Like · 1

Kara: This is craziness and I was an accounting major in college! Wow. I'm thinking like Beth and Janine but still doesn't make total sense to me.
12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Kara: Would it be across top: 4+1=5, across bottom 4+0=4. Making the left column 4+4=8, right column 1+0=1. Concluding to across totals of 8+1=9? I only have one double of numbers though.
12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Sheri:  This is going to drive you crazy Kara.
12 hours ago via mobile · Like

Janine:  Can you go to the teacher tomorrow and ask for the answer! Also please make her show her work!
12 hours ago · Like · 1

Kara:  This will drive me crazy until I know what the answer is! Tell D. to bring home his homework all marked up in red so we can see the answer! LOL Poor kid.
12 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Sheri:  They don't use red anymore...its too negative. I can't wait to see the answers on this one
12 hours ago via mobile · Like

Stacy: 4 +1= 5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1-4=5.. top 4 bottom 1 =5.......top 1 bottom 4 =5 top 5 bottom =1 ....fives being your doubles
12 hours ago · Like

Stacy: let me know if I was right ..I always hated math
12 hours ago · Like

Melissa:  Wtf... I don't remember that
4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Elisa:  Rob asked why you didn't ask Barry C.  he used to teach math.
4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Jane:  No red?? Geez.. everything is changing.
4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Kara: That's ridiculous.
2 hours ago via mobile · Like
-- 


No comments:

Post a Comment