Monday, January 16, 2012

Fun to be part of SheKnows.com MOM BLOGGER Face-Off


This was a fun treat. Around the new year, I got asked by a fellow blogger mom to give my opinion about whether I believed in making New Years Resolutions or Not.

We happened to have opposite views so we ended up "facing off" on Sheknows.com 's MOM BLOGGER Face-Off.  So cool to be included.  Check it out here and also go to Sheknows.com to view other Mom Blogger Face-Offs.  This weeks face-off is a discussion about whether these mom bloggers believe in putting T.V.s in their kid rooms.
______________________


NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS: LIST 'EM OR PASS?  


From Sheknows.com - http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/851131/mom-blogger-face-off-do-you-believe-in-making-new-years-resolutions

2012 is here! With each new year comes new beginnings for you and your family. Do you believe in making New Year's resolutions?
Mom Faceoff

Mommies Facing off this week

Audrey McClelland, founder of Mom Generations, and Catherine Costantino, founder of Twins with Tots.

The scenario:

It's 2012, a new year!
With every New Year comes new beginnings and brand new chapters in our lives.
Resolutions are to made... or are they?

Question: Do you believe in making New Year's resolutions?



Audrey McclellandAudrey McClellandMom Generations
@AudreyMcClellan
I used to love making New Year's resolutions growing up. I remember I would sit down the week after Christmas and literally make a laundry list of ALL the things I was going to change about my life.
They were things like, "Color my hair. Buy more trendy clothes. Eat better. Join a gym. Read more."
I don't know when I stopped doing it, but I haven't believed in making New Year's resolutions in maybe the last five or six years. And I'm going to be brutally honest with you here: having my sons back to back to back to back from 2004 to 2008, I hardly had enough time to shower, never mind sit down and try to draft down a list of things that I wanted to change about my life.
Also, as I got older, I guess I started to view New Year's resolutions as semi-depressing. All the things I would jot down were things that were going to change me for "the better."  And then I would dissect everything in my life that needed to be altered for "the better." Instead of writing down all the good things that had just happened that previous year, it was all about... ok, now how do I make it all better?  So I stopped doing it.
I feel like resolutions should be changed to New Years Goals. What are your goals for 2012?  Not: what are your resolutions?

 

Audrey left the fashion world of Donna Karan International in NYC to raise her brood of boys in her home state of Rhode Island. She’s learned that you can take the girl out of the Fashion District, but you can’t take the Fashion District out of the girl. Audrey brings her fashion expertise and mom experience to Mom Generations.
Catherine CostantinoCatherine CostantinoTwins with Tots
@TwinswithTots
When I was younger, I did not regularly do New Year's Resolutions. I was able to do things for "me" pretty regularly back then, but now that I am a wife and mom to three sweet girls, this "me" care happens a little less often.
Nowadays I totally embrace the idea of making New Year's Resolutions. I take every opportunity to try to better myself. This yearly tradition is a great opportunity to do just that. I love to take a good look at myself at the beginning of a fresh, new year and think, "Okay lady, how are we going to start this year off right?"
Having this time set aside each year for this reminder to reflect on and even improve upon yourself is something I happily embrace and greatly appreciate.
This year, I resolve to take care of "me" more, which will include eating better, exercising with a friend so the process is more fun and also makes me accountable to someone so that I go more consistently.
I plan to even do small things for myself like simply getting my eyebrows waxed consistently --  'cause a good brow-arch can make me feel fan-tabulous about myself. And in the end, I don't "knock" myself if a resolution is not met, I just look at it as an opportunity to learn something about myself and to improve as I move forward in my crazy life.

 

Catherine Costantino is a mom of three beautiful girls and the co-founder of Twins with Tots with her own twin sister. Catherine Costantino lives in Rhode Island and works at Brown University.

More on New Year's resolutions

1 comment:

  1. I think it's essential to make new years resolutions and a firm visual infrastructure to go with it. For Weight loss, stick those photo's of girls running on your fridge, replace sweets with fruits, I've cut out carbs for now, I've put up a weight loss chart & an exercise chart on my office wall so I can better my walking time and I've roped in a friend or 2 to walk with me for moral support.
    If you don't make resolutions yearly or every 6 months you are like a ship that's going nowhere.
    For saving money I've decided to cut down on phone contracts and start using a Tracfone family value prepaid plan, which only costs me 427.96 for my family of 4. So I'm saving over $100/month which I can pay on to my house payment.
    I also want to go to a beautician once a month to have my nails done or get a facial, etc. for a better looking me.

    ReplyDelete